Four people pushed from van following shootout during apparent illegal human smuggling operation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County investigators are on the hunt for suspects after four suspected illegal immigrants were pushed out of a vehicle during a shootout on the southwest side.
Three of those immigrants were sent to the hospital, and it is still unclear whether the violence is connected to human smuggling.
There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning this case.
Those four suspected illegal immigrants were shoved out of a van after someone in an SUV shot at it.
This all happened around 2:30am Thursday near the intersection of Beechnut and Eldridge. According to Harris County sheriff's deputies, a white van possibly smuggling the four victims was traveling down Beechnut when an SUV pulled up next to them and opened fire.
Those four victims were 15 to 22 years old and, at this point, investigators believe they were from Honduras and just arrived into the United States on Wednesday. One of the victims was shot and the other three received only minor injuries.
Deputies say the man with the gunshot wound was transported to Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital in good condition. The other three -- two females and a male -- were transported to West Houston Medical Center in good condition.
As for the drivers of the two vehicles involved, there is currently no word on their whereabouts.
For deputies, this investigation is just beginning. It's unclear where the four victims headed and who was driving them.
This case is now under investigation by ICE Homeland Security Investigations.
We'll continue to follow this story and bring you more information as it comes into the newsroom.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 22 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 22 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 21 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer