Four people pushed from van following shootout during apparent illegal human smuggling operation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Harris County investigators are on the hunt for suspects after four suspected illegal immigrants were pushed out of a vehicle during a shootout on the southwest side.
Three of those immigrants were sent to the hospital, and it is still unclear whether the violence is connected to human smuggling.
There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning this case.
Those four suspected illegal immigrants were shoved out of a van after someone in an SUV shot at it.
This all happened around 2:30am Thursday near the intersection of Beechnut and Eldridge. According to Harris County sheriff's deputies, a white van possibly smuggling the four victims was traveling down Beechnut when an SUV pulled up next to them and opened fire.
Those four victims were 15 to 22 years old and, at this point, investigators believe they were from Honduras and just arrived into the United States on Wednesday. One of the victims was shot and the other three received only minor injuries.
Deputies say the man with the gunshot wound was transported to Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital in good condition. The other three -- two females and a male -- were transported to West Houston Medical Center in good condition.
As for the drivers of the two vehicles involved, there is currently no word on their whereabouts.
For deputies, this investigation is just beginning. It's unclear where the four victims headed and who was driving them.
This case is now under investigation by ICE Homeland Security Investigations.
We'll continue to follow this story and bring you more information as it comes into the newsroom.
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home