Police: Deputy fatally shoots intruder at her apartment
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say an off-duty Harris County reserve deputy shot and killed an intruder who tried to enter her apartment in southwest Houston Thursday night.
The shooting happened around 6:20pm at an apartment complex in the 11900 block of Oakmoor Parkway.
Investigators say Corey Hayes, 22, got into a disturbance with his mother and grandmother in their apartment when the situation took a turn for the worse and they were forced to run to the officer's nearby apartment unit to seek refuge.
The reserve deputy, who had her young son inside her apartment with her, told investigators Hayes kicked in her door. She identified herself as an officer, but he charged at her anyway, so she fired her weapon once, killing him.
The deputy, who's been with Harris County's Precinct 7 for five years, also provides security for the apartment complex. She will be placed on administrative leave as the investigation continues. As is customary in officer-involved shooting incidents in the city limits, this case is being investigated by the HPD Homicide Division and the Harris County District Attornery's Office. The Precinct 7 Constable's Internal Affairs Unit will also investigate the incident.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
local, jessica willey
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 1 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects