Police: Deputy fatally shoots intruder at her apartment
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say an off-duty Harris County reserve deputy shot and killed an intruder who tried to enter her apartment in southwest Houston Thursday night.
The shooting happened around 6:20pm at an apartment complex in the 11900 block of Oakmoor Parkway.
Investigators say Corey Hayes, 22, got into a disturbance with his mother and grandmother in their apartment when the situation took a turn for the worse and they were forced to run to the officer's nearby apartment unit to seek refuge.
The reserve deputy, who had her young son inside her apartment with her, told investigators Hayes kicked in her door. She identified herself as an officer, but he charged at her anyway, so she fired her weapon once, killing him.
The deputy, who's been with Harris County's Precinct 7 for five years, also provides security for the apartment complex. She will be placed on administrative leave as the investigation continues. As is customary in officer-involved shooting incidents in the city limits, this case is being investigated by the HPD Homicide Division and the Harris County District Attornery's Office. The Precinct 7 Constable's Internal Affairs Unit will also investigate the incident.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
local, jessica willey
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today