HFD fire truck strikes pedestrian while heading to house fire in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man is in the hospital recovering after he was struck by a fire truck heading to a house fire in north Houston.
The incident happened around 7pm Thursday just outside Station 31, which is located on West Crosstimbers near Old Yale.
Houston Fire Department spokesman Ruy Lozano says one of its ladder trucks was pulling out of the station to turn eastbound on West Crosstimbers when it struck a pedestrian, who investigators say is a man in his 30s, walking on or near the sidewalk.
Fire department officials say the truck had its lights and sirens on, and firefighters jumped out of the truck to help the victim.
The agency would not provide any more details, saying it doesn't want to compromise the integrity of a Houston Police Department investigation.
"This is a very troubling time at the Houston Fire Department. The members are very upset," Lozano said. "Our thoughts and prayers really go out to the victim and the victim's family."
The man was transported to a nearby hospital and is listed as stable.
Crisis counselors were dispatched to talk to the firefighters who were at the fire station.
Detectives say it's still too early in their investigation to comment on whether the fire truck's driver may have done anything wrong.
This isn't the first time a Houston Fire Department fire truck has been involved in an auto-pedestrian accident.
In 2009, a woman riding her bike was killed after two fire trucks collided at an intersection in the Montrose area. The driver of one of the trucks was issued a citation but no criminal charges were filed.
local, kevin quinn
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 38 min ago
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company 36 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course 58 min ago
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham' 27 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
27 min ago