New day care fire photos introduced in Tata trial
raw video: Audio of Tata's interview with investigators
raw video: Distrubing 911 call from fatal day care fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- New videos and photos were introduced in Jessica Tata's murder trial Thursday with a lot of attention focused on the kitchen where the deadly fire started.
It was February 24, 2011. Chaos erupted as a west Houston day care went up in flames. Owner Jessica Tata was in apparent anguish as four kids died and three were injured.
Prosecutors allege Tata left the kids unsupervised to go shopping.
Jurors got a look Thursday at what arson investigators found in the day care when the smoke cleared.
Investigator Thomas Wood showed jurors the kitchen stove where he says the fire started.
"The heat radiated up from the frying pan to the refrigerator and radiated back to the wooden cabinets," Wood said.
Wood ruled the fire as accidental, blaming oil left burning in a frying pan. He described Thursday how firefighters found the children. He said one was hiding under a table in the dining room. Two others were in their cribs.
"It doesn't take much to visualize the children trapped there with the fires burning and them having no idea what to do or how to escape," KTRK legal analyst Joel Androphy said.
Androphy said Thursday's testimony isn't so much about finding Tata guilty or not guilty. It's about appealing to the emotion of the jury.
"She was extremely reckless and children suffered. That's indisputable. Even the defense can't contest that," Androphy said. "The only thing they can contest is the fact, if they have evidence, that this was an isolated matter in her life and she is normally a very good person."
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 24 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 25 min ago
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt 18 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns