Driver slams into HCSO patrol unit in NW Harris Co.
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There was a close call for two sheriff's deputies and one person being given a courtesy transport in northwest Harris County this morning when a pickup truck slammed into one patrol vehicle, pushing it into a second one.
The two Harris County Sheriff's Office patrol vehicles were stopped in a turn lane northbound on Highway 6 at West Little York, one in front of the other. That's when investigators say a pickup truck heading southbound slammed head-on into the first patrol vehicle, pushing it back into the second.
The impact was so hard that one of the patrol vehicles was pushed back 28 feet.
Investigators say the driver of the pickup truck was 16 years old. They suspect he had been smoking synthetic marijuana. He was transported to the hospital, where he'll undergo a mandatory blood test.
Deputies say one of the passengers in the pickup truck had asked the teen to drive because that person was reportedly intoxicated. Another passenger in the pickup was said to be a runaway, whose parents came to pick her up.
"We had two deputies stopped northbound at the light at Little York and Highway 6. They were one behind the other," said Sgt. Susan Cotter with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "There was a truck going southbound on Highway 6. He failed to drive in a single lane of traffic and struck the deputy head-on."
The deputy in the first patrol vehicle was taken to the hospital with an injured wrist and bruising. A deputy in the second vehicle was doing a courtesy transport for a woman. She was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Charges in the case are pending.
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 9 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 17 min ago
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets 6 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday! 27 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with these packing tips 33 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly