Homeowner shot after surprising burglars in his living room
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- ktrk_110212_4pmtatatrial.flv
It was an emotional morning as family members rushed to the victim's side moments after hearing a group of gun-toting burglars fired numerous bullets inside his house, injuring the homeowner.
Monica King, a relative of the victim, said, "I think it was very selfish for whoever broke into their house because these are two working people. This is a family."
Relatives say the burglars kicked in the front door moments after the homeowner's wife left to take their 10-month-old daughter to day care.
Deputies say the gunmen didn't realize a man was still at home sleeping in the downstairs bedroom. They say the homeowner surprised those burglars. The crooks shot him in the leg and ran off.
"It's very frustrating," said Tahli Johnson, the victim's sister. "The baby could have been in there with him. Anybody could have been in the house."
This burglary happened in Eagles Landing 3, a new subdivision off Kuykendahl still under development. Several neighbors told deputies they noticed men in a suspicious white Pathfinder and black Grand Marquis parked in the area around 7am, just before the burglary.
Neighbor Nikita Williams said, "He was just moving around and I didn't think nothing of it. And I just went back home not knowing that something was going to happen at this house."
As deputies collect and analyze evidence the criminals left behind, the victim's family is hoping surveillance cameras in the community can help identify the bad guys.
"They will be caught," King promised. "Sooner or later, they are going to catch up with them. Sooner or later."
The victim has been treated and released from the hospital for an injured leg.
Deputies say it's important to always report any suspicious activity. The family and investigators are encouraging anyone with information on this burglary or the gunmen to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 45 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident 25 min ago
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Moisture moves back with with rain chances rising