Driver killed in wrong-way wreck with big rig that shut down all lanes of Gulf Freeway
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- One person is dead in a wreck that has shut down the Gulf Freeway for hours this morning.
At about 4:15am, the League City Police Department received a call from Dickinson Police Department advising that a green 1995 Honda Civic was traveling northbound on the southbound feeder road of the Gulf Freeway. While officers were responding, League City Police received a second call saying that the Honda had entered the main lanes of the freeway and struck an 18-wheeler in the 2500 block of I-45, near FM 646.
Once officers arrived on scene, it was determined that the Honda and the 18-wheeler struck head on in the middle lane of the freeway. The single occupant of the Honda was dead at the scene. The truck driver was not injured. He struck his knee in the vehicle and was checked by EMS but released at the scene.
Officers were forced to shut down all lanes of the freeway and all traffic was diverted to the feeder road while the accident investigation was conducted. League City Fire Department and a TxDOT HazMat unit worked to clear the roadway of oil and vehicle fluids into the mid-morning hours. One lane was reopened to traffic, but others remained closed past the lunch hour as crews continued the clean up.
The driver's identity has not been released.
league city, local
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church 59 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge 20 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos