Fuel-carrying tanker truck overturns, explodes in northeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A tanker truck carrying thousands of gallons of fuel overturned and exploded in northeast Harris County. Lanes finally reopened after several hours, but officials are still working to determine the cause of the accident.
The wreck happened just before 8pm on the northbound service road of Beltway 8 East near Highway 90.
Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office says a tanker truck carrying 8,800 gallons of gas or diesel flipped over and exploded.
Emergency responders from the Sheldon Fire Department and the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office, as well as a hazmat crew, rushed to the scene to contain the blaze.
"This was pretty dangerous. The fire marshal's office, the hazmat team came in with one of their hazmat bumpers and that really helped supress the fire with the foam," Hensley said.
Investigators still don't know exactly how the accident happened because the driver of the truck was transported to the hospital to get treated for minor burns, Hensley said.
Crews shut down all westbound feeder lanes of Highway 90 and all northbound lanes of the Beltway service road as they worked to contain the scene and make sure the fuel was not in the sewer system.
All lanes are open this morning.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details and check the latest traffic conditions here.
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 53 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after found safe
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 41 min ago
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 7 min ago
- Most insane job interview ever
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 31 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- German Shepherd called to jury duty in New Jersey
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Travis Herzog's Thursday weather forecast
16 min ago