Fuel-carrying tanker truck overturns, explodes in northeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A tanker truck carrying thousands of gallons of fuel overturned and exploded in northeast Harris County. Lanes finally reopened after several hours, but officials are still working to determine the cause of the accident.
The wreck happened just before 8pm on the northbound service road of Beltway 8 East near Highway 90.
Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office says a tanker truck carrying 8,800 gallons of gas or diesel flipped over and exploded.
Emergency responders from the Sheldon Fire Department and the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office, as well as a hazmat crew, rushed to the scene to contain the blaze.
"This was pretty dangerous. The fire marshal's office, the hazmat team came in with one of their hazmat bumpers and that really helped supress the fire with the foam," Hensley said.
Investigators still don't know exactly how the accident happened because the driver of the truck was transported to the hospital to get treated for minor burns, Hensley said.
Crews shut down all westbound feeder lanes of Highway 90 and all northbound lanes of the Beltway service road as they worked to contain the scene and make sure the fuel was not in the sewer system.
All lanes are open this morning.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details and check the latest traffic conditions here.
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Suspect dead, victim injured during shootout
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- NASA records powerful explosion on moon
- Star Trek shuttle craft to be displayed in Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos