Fuel-carrying tanker truck overturns, explodes in northeast Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A tanker truck carrying thousands of gallons of fuel overturned and exploded in northeast Harris County. Lanes finally reopened after several hours, but officials are still working to determine the cause of the accident.
The wreck happened just before 8pm on the northbound service road of Beltway 8 East near Highway 90.
Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office says a tanker truck carrying 8,800 gallons of gas or diesel flipped over and exploded.
Emergency responders from the Sheldon Fire Department and the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office, as well as a hazmat crew, rushed to the scene to contain the blaze.
"This was pretty dangerous. The fire marshal's office, the hazmat team came in with one of their hazmat bumpers and that really helped supress the fire with the foam," Hensley said.
Investigators still don't know exactly how the accident happened because the driver of the truck was transported to the hospital to get treated for minor burns, Hensley said.
Crews shut down all westbound feeder lanes of Highway 90 and all northbound lanes of the Beltway service road as they worked to contain the scene and make sure the fuel was not in the sewer system.
All lanes are open this morning.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details and check the latest traffic conditions here.
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Winter Weather advisory for several local counties
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished Sunday
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas
- Rice wins C-USA title with 41-24 win over Marshall
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Drivers stuck on icy I-35 as cold blast hits Texas
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea