Sister accused of beating girl over Cheetos
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston woman is in custody after police say she brutally beat her younger sister over a bag of Cheetos.
Deby Mejia, 23, is charged with injury to a child and accused of severely whipping her 10-year-old sister and knocking the girl unconscious. Police say it was all because the child was caught snacking on a bag of Cheetos. According to court documents, the little girl went to a neighbor's house to buy those snacks while her sister was gone.
The child told investigators when her 23-year-old sister returned home she got 'real mad.' Police say the woman whipped the girl with an extension cord. Then grabbed her by the hair and banged her head on the floor, causing the girl to pass out.
"I've been knowing her for about six months," a neighbor said. "She seemed like a pretty nice person"
A neighbor upstairs didn't want to show his face or give his name, but told me the allegations against Mejia are shocking.
"I just can't believe she would do stuff like that," he said. "I'm telling you, she looks like a nice person."
Police say someone from the child's school noticed multiple bruises on the girl's body.
Investigators say Mejia told them she kicked the child while she was on the floor. They say the woman claims she resents the girl for being born and never loved her. They say Mejia told police she doesn't feel any remorse and doesn't think she did anything wrong.
Investigators say Mejia told them she was forced to take care of the girl six years ago when their mom was deported to Honduras. Mejia is now in jail on a $60,000 bond.
local, demond fernandez
- Boy, 3, drowns in apartment pool in SW Houston 53 min ago
- House party ends with one dead, 2 others injured 50 min ago
- Person of interest located in death of mail carrier
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver
- Local Marine killed in duty honored for bravery
- Tornadoes strike Kansas, Oklahoma 35 min ago
- Driver killed when SUV goes airborne
- Winner crowned at Gyro Eating Championship
- Volunteer firefighters save man from burning home
- Man found fatally shot at Motel 6 in east Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos