Mom fatally shot in front of infant in northwest Harris County apartment
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- What happened inside a home that ended with a mother being killed in front of her child? That's what police are trying to figure out right now. The investigation started Thursday afternoon, but so far there are no answers.
The shooting happened at an apartment complex off Pitner near Roma in northwest Harris County.
Police say they have few clues to go on as they search for the killer. Neighbors say they're really worried about their safety.
The scene in front of her front door scares Lorena Cuatete.
"I have a little baby, probably the same age as her baby, and this is real hard to see this so close to your house," Cuatete said.
Investigators say sometime after 11am Thursday, a mother, home in her apartment with her baby, was shot multiple times.
"She was inside the residence with a one-year-old child. The child is unharmed," Houston Police Department Sgt. Warren Meeler said.
Police found the baby unhurt in a high chair. The mother was rushed to the hospital, but she died.
Investigators say there is a vague description of a suspicious male wearing a dark hoodie around the time of the shooting. But they think the woman's iPhone may offer additional clues.
"Her husband was able to locate her iPhone about three-quarters of a mile to the west of here. We were able to locate that and get a scent from that and we'll track the scent around this area," Meeler said.
Police say family members are taking care of the baby and comforting the dad. And as detectives look for a suspect, neighbors worry if there is a killer on the loose.
"So whoever did this they need to be punished, because it's scary. And it's right here where you live at. It's very scary," neighbor Mary Pitre said.
Investigators say there is no evidence of forced entry and nothing of value was taken from the apartment.
Anyone with information regarding this murder is asked to contact Houston police.
local, miya shay
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are struggling 48 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Mobile home fire claims life of one person in NE Houston
- Study to test 'chocolate' pills for heart health 45 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Malaysia: Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last word
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 20 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded