Military dad surprises his kids at Veteran's Day school assembly
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Waller family is cherishing every second right now. Just days before Veteran's Day, they've been reunited. Their dad is back home safe from active duty, just in time for a special delivery.
It was supposed to be a Veteran's Day program, a way for elementary school students to recognize Waller area veterans for their service. But it was a lot more than that to one member of the military and his family.
Patriotism is alive and well at Waller's Holloman Elementary. In honor of Veteran's Day, the school brought all 700 students into its multi-purpose room to recognize those who have served our country.
Then seven-year-old Krestyn and five-year-old Gavin were called up to help say the pledge of allegiance. Before they did, however, they got a huge surprise.
Their father, Army Specialist Ben Ivy had just arrived in from assignment in Virginia. The last time he saw the kids was July. The kids held on and refused to let go.
Wife and mother Linzie Ivy said, "Words can't describe it, to see the kids with their dad."
Linzie set the whole thing up with the help of the school, of course. You see, her husband Ben could get only four days off and she wanted to surprise the kids.
They're making the most of the time. Linzie is scheduled to deliver their third child by C-section on Saturday.
"It's surreal," Ben said. "Better than winning the lottery. It's your whole world, you know."
And there's nowhere Specialist Ivy would rather be.
The Ivy family is moving to New York at the end of the month as he is assigned by the Army to learn to fix Blackhawk helicopters there. He already received orders to deploy to Afghanistan in the spring.
local, kevin quinn
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million 37 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns 23 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Mutton bustin' champ steals show
44 min ago
- Battleship Texas celebrates its 100th...
36 min ago