Military dad surprises his kids at Veteran's Day school assembly
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Waller family is cherishing every second right now. Just days before Veteran's Day, they've been reunited. Their dad is back home safe from active duty, just in time for a special delivery.
It was supposed to be a Veteran's Day program, a way for elementary school students to recognize Waller area veterans for their service. But it was a lot more than that to one member of the military and his family.
Patriotism is alive and well at Waller's Holloman Elementary. In honor of Veteran's Day, the school brought all 700 students into its multi-purpose room to recognize those who have served our country.
Then seven-year-old Krestyn and five-year-old Gavin were called up to help say the pledge of allegiance. Before they did, however, they got a huge surprise.
Their father, Army Specialist Ben Ivy had just arrived in from assignment in Virginia. The last time he saw the kids was July. The kids held on and refused to let go.
Wife and mother Linzie Ivy said, "Words can't describe it, to see the kids with their dad."
Linzie set the whole thing up with the help of the school, of course. You see, her husband Ben could get only four days off and she wanted to surprise the kids.
They're making the most of the time. Linzie is scheduled to deliver their third child by C-section on Saturday.
"It's surreal," Ben said. "Better than winning the lottery. It's your whole world, you know."
And there's nowhere Specialist Ivy would rather be.
The Ivy family is moving to New York at the end of the month as he is assigned by the Army to learn to fix Blackhawk helicopters there. He already received orders to deploy to Afghanistan in the spring.
local, kevin quinn
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 19 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 29 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage 37 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 3 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
47 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
28 min ago