Fatal shooting of elderly man sparks concern
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A northwest Harris County neighborhood is asking questions after a 74-year-old man was fatally shot on his evening walk.
Neighbors found the Maglorio Cortes lying on a concrete slab around 6pm Wednesday in the 11100 block of Springsong Drive.
Now, they're worried because this could have happened to any of them.
Just imagine: you're walking down the street like you usually do. It's not even dark outside, and somebody shoots and kills you.
Investigators are now releasing new details on how Cortes was murdered.
According to officials, he was walking down the street like he did every evening when he was shot. They believe he was randomly targeted.
Neighbors tell us they heard four gunshots. Some of them saw a maroon Toyota Corolla with tinted windows leaving the scene.
Cortes was transported to CY-Fair Hospital where he was pronounced dead. No motive or suspect information has been developed.
Investigators are actively searching for the suspect or suspects in this case. If you have any information, contact the Harris County Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit at 713-967-5810 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat