Local service members honored around town
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Several Veterans Day events around the Houston area Sunday honored the men and women who serve our country.
In Houston, the annual Veterans Day "Houston Salutes American Heroes" celebration was held downtown. Marching bands and military vehicles rolled through downtown for the Parade of Heroes. Members of each branch of the Armed Forces waved to thousands of spectators who lined the street with flags to show their appreciation. There was also a job fair and health fair outside City Hall.
In Baytown, a Veterans Day ceremony was held at Veterans' Memorial Plaza on Market Street in front of Bicentennial Park.
In Kingwood, a Veterans Day barbecue was held at the Cypress Woods Retirement Community on Chestnut Ridge Road.
The Buffalo Soldiers National Musuem is honoring the African-American military experience in its brand new facility. It opened its doors at the historic Houston Light Guard Armory on Caroline Street just in time for Veterans Day. The museum is the only one in the country dedicated to African-American soldiers.
Honoring Texans who died in Vietnam
Texas is spending half a million dollars to honor the 3,400 Texans who died in Vietnam. A state grant allowed New Mexico sculptor Robert "Duke" Sundt to start work on the statue of five soldiers huddled in the ruins of an ancient temple. The statue will cost $1.5 million. One million dollars came from private donations. It will be finished next year and placed on the state capitol grounds along with other war memorials.
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat 40 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room