Second Fisher House breaks ground at VA
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- While the nation honored our veterans, a very special groundbreaking took place at the DeBakey VA Medical Center.
The official groundbreaking for the second Fisher House on the VA Medical Center Campus took place this morning. The Fisher House Foundation provides a home away from home for families of seriously ill or injured military veterans and active duty personnel. Family members have a place to stay near VA hospitals, allowing them to see and care for their loved ones who are receiving treatment.
The families have their own rooms, with private bathrooms, laundry and a shared kitchen, as well as a living room with a library.
Ivonne Thompson is a military wife who has stayed in a Fisher House twice after her husband, a USNavy veteran, was injured in Iraq in April 2007.
"My husband went through a couple of incidents where we didn't think he was going to make it. The fact that I could be there at a moment's notice if, God forbid, if I needed to be, I was able to do that -- ... it's a safe haven," Thompson said.
There are 58 Fisher Houses across the world. There's already one here in Houston. The facility is constantly at 98 percent capacity, so this second Fisher House will accomodate the increased demands.
local, sonia azad
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse 23 min ago
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub 26 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...