Woman shoppers attacked outside Target store in Sugar Land
SUGAR LAND, TX (KTRK) -- Two women were pepper sprayed and robbed in a bold attack at a shopping center parking lot. It happened at about 8:30pm Monday at a Target store along Highway 59 near Lakeside Plaza Drive in Sugar Land.
Surveillance cameras outside the Target caught the attackers before they struck. It's from a distance and a bit grainy, but police think it could hold the key to catching these criminals. Police say the robbers were circling the parking lot, looking for potential victims.
"I think that is terrible," said one victim. "It's a terrible thing to attack an old lady that couldn't defend herself."
We're not showing the victim's face or identifying her because she fears now for her safety. Investigators say the 76-year-old and her adult daughter were leaving the Target and putting items into their vehicle when two women approached and pepper sprayed them.
"I was terrified," she said. "I had a terrible -- I thought I was going to go blind!"
The elderly woman showed us a bruise on her hand from where the attackers threw her to the ground in the parking lot. Police say one hit her in the stomach as they struggled over her purse. They got it -- jumping into a black four door sedan and speeding off.
Sugar Land police spokesperson Doug Adolph said, "Hopefully somebody will recognize these people and provide some information as to who they are."
This woman says she fears now every time she opens the door, every time she leaves the house. She's from Austin, was just visiting family in Sugar Land and wonders now if it's as safe a place as she had believed. She wants those responsible caught.
"Oh, I would like that they caught them and they put them in prison," she said.
Police have limited descriptions of the attackers. One of the women has black, curly shoulder length hair. The two women and the male getaway driver all appeared to be in their late 20s to early 30s. The victim's suffered minor injuries.
sugar land, local, kevin quinn
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'