Neighbors work to trap nuisance feral hogs
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Neighbors in a Clear Lake community are taking steps to rein in a feral hog invasion that has been costing homeowners in repairs and keeping joggers off the streets.
Homeowners and joggers hope the problem is brought under control soon, before more damage is left behind by the rooting hogs, and before anyone is hurt. Homeowner Alicia Steinkuehler says feral hogs decimated her St. Augustine on repeated nights last week.
"You can replace that," Steinkuehler said. "You can't replace a child or a dog, and that's what worries me right now. They're becoming fearless."
Steinkuehler says one chased her son not long ago. On Wednesday a neighbor shot footage of a hog rooting through a common area right next to houses during the day. Experts say this is uncommon because they are mostly seen only at night.
Last week, representatives for the Northfork homeowner's association met with nearby land owners and Texas Parks and Wildlife concerning a solution to the problem. It's believed that the hogs come into the subdivision from an adjacent property where cattle are raised.
According to a message sent to homeowners, the cattle rancher will be setting up traps, and representatives with Texas Parks and Wildlife have been granted access to his land in order to assist with bringing the hog population under control.
Additionally, homeowners were informed they can set up traps on their own property. At least one family that suffered severe landscaping damage did so, and discovered a feral hog in their trap Tuesday morning. The home is located directly across the street from North Pointe Elementary School.
clear lake, local
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Girl, 10, found safely after overnight search
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 9 min ago
- Police: Multiple casualties following London theater collapse 31 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual' 33 min ago
- Police investigate shooting in SE Houston
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 34 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
- No more playing in the street, says Florida HOA
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos