Assist. Principal charged in raid on adult video store
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- An assistant middle school principal in Galveston is on leave, accused of drug possession. Investigators say he was picked up during a raid at an adult video store.
It is disbelief here among parents and students at Galveston's Austin Middle School after their assistant principal was charged with possessing crystal meth.
Out to stop indecent exposure and prostitution on November 4, the Houston Police Department raided the 24/7 Video store on the Gulf Freeway. Inside, investigators say they found 33-year-old John Daniel Hayman. He's an assistant principal at Austin MS. Detectives say he was in possession of methamphetamine.
"I mean I would have to have real evidence to believe that," said one parent.
Parents and students find it hard to believe.
"Just how he acts. He's a nice guy. It's not like something he would do," said student Miguel Yanes.
Detectives say Hayman was found in a viewing room where patrons can watch adult movies. The door was locked and he didn't come out when they called for all customers to do so. A manager's key was used to unlock the door. Police say he was found in the room, clothed but with the drugs.
No one answered when we knocked on the door at Hayman's Galveston home Wednesday. He posted $2,000 bond shortly after his arrest.
His lawyer though denies that Hayman did anything illegal. Attorney Jack Carroll says police had "no probable cause to search him."
"He wasn't doing anything illegal, as a matter of fact he had every right to be where he was and the police came in on I guess a morality type charge -- looking for love in all the wrong places as I've heard police officers refer to it," said Carroll.
Hayman has been placed on paid administrative leave by the school district.
This incident occurred 10 days ago, but it was only today that Galveston ISD sent out a note to parents on this.
galveston, local, kevin quinn
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 1 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 22 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 7 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home