Alert officer finds undocumented immigrants in van
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston police officer trying to chase a couple suspicious people overnight in southwest Houston ended up making a much bigger discovery -- 24 illegal immigrants packed in the back of a U-Haul van.
It all happened around 1:30am on Edgemoor near Hillcroft. The officer spotted some people running and tried to stop them. When he did, he discovered 24 people hiding in a U-Haul van.
Most of the people were undocumented immigrants from Mexico. At least one was from Honduras. There were also children in the group.
Police took them inside a suspected stash house to keep them warm. A wrecker driver tells Eyewitness News he saw the people running from the van.
"I couldn't believe it. How can you get 20 people in that van. It was amazing to me because I had never seen it before," said wrecker driver Oris Boutte. "But it goes to show you, you never know what goes on out here in the city and how many other vans are around like that bringing in illegal aliens."
So far, there's been no word of any arrests.
We are gathering more information and will update you on Eyewitness News and abc13.com as additional details become available.
local, elissa rivas
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape 7 min ago
- Hail storm moved quickly across viewing area 20 min ago
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo 12 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast