Fireplace fire damages townhome in west Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A burning fireplace is being blamed for an overnight fire in west Houston.
It happened around 3am at a home on Longmont near S Post Oak in west Houston.
Fire officials say the homeowner fell asleep with the fire still burning in the fireplace. Firefighters say the man woke up to his fire alarm going off and thanks to that, he was able to escape without injury.
Fire crews say the fireplace was small and at this point, they believe it couldn't withstand the amount of heat. The fire was just starting to burn the walls and floor around it and spread from there.
"Once they opened up the walls, they found the fire had traveled quite extensively through the walls and ceiling," said Jay Evans with the Houston Fire Department. "So there is going to be an extensive amount of damage to the inside of this home.
The homeowner was the only person inside when the fire broke out. There is an estimated $200,000 in damage to the home.
- Case of swine flu confirmed in Montgomery County
- City slammed for deal with topless clubs 31 min ago
- Houston police gain powerful new weapon
- Man says found treasure should be his 43 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Police: Man fatally shoots wife in southsoutheast west Houston 15 min ago
- Mystery of the missing mink
- Bicyclist hit by minivan near park
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death
- Family of Houston girl hopes for life-saving donation
- Congress passes bill that will avoid future govt. shutdowns
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- METRO offering new way to get around town