HPD: Drunk driver slams into apartment building
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say the dangerous combination of drinking and driving is what caused chaos Thursday afternoon in east Harris County.
Police aren't sure exactly how an SUV ended up through the wall of the apartment, but they believe booze played a part.
SkyEye 13 HD showed a mangled fence and an entire wall missing from the apartment.
"I heard a loud bang, like an explosion," said resident Brenda Celestine.
Initially neighbors had no idea what knocked their units around.
"I heard an explosion and my chair that I was sitting on blew up in the air. and then there was another explosion," resident Anette Jimenez said.
The sound of the explosion was a Lincoln Navigator plowing through the brick walls of their apartment complex.
"There was smoke everywhere. I couldn't see," said Celestine.
Jimenez said, "I didn't know what was going on, so I got my purse and my keys screaming, 'Help me, help!' because I smelled smoke and gas."
Luckily as she ran out there were already five or six men ready to help because part of the staircase was gone.
"Saying 'Are you alright? Are you alright?' And they helped me jump from the top of the stairs because they crumbled all the way down," said Jimenez.
While her full-size SUV was pulled out of the vacant apartment covered in wood framing and sheet rock, an officer, holding her black purse, escorted the female suspect to the back of a patrol car.
"I just got shook up. I just got shook up," Jimenez said.
The suspect's arrest might explain how this happened. She was a taken in for DWI.
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate 47 min ago
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods 4 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith