HPD: Drunk driver slams into apartment building
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police say the dangerous combination of drinking and driving is what caused chaos Thursday afternoon in east Harris County.
Police aren't sure exactly how an SUV ended up through the wall of the apartment, but they believe booze played a part.
SkyEye 13 HD showed a mangled fence and an entire wall missing from the apartment.
"I heard a loud bang, like an explosion," said resident Brenda Celestine.
Initially neighbors had no idea what knocked their units around.
"I heard an explosion and my chair that I was sitting on blew up in the air. and then there was another explosion," resident Anette Jimenez said.
The sound of the explosion was a Lincoln Navigator plowing through the brick walls of their apartment complex.
"There was smoke everywhere. I couldn't see," said Celestine.
Jimenez said, "I didn't know what was going on, so I got my purse and my keys screaming, 'Help me, help!' because I smelled smoke and gas."
Luckily as she ran out there were already five or six men ready to help because part of the staircase was gone.
"Saying 'Are you alright? Are you alright?' And they helped me jump from the top of the stairs because they crumbled all the way down," said Jimenez.
While her full-size SUV was pulled out of the vacant apartment covered in wood framing and sheet rock, an officer, holding her black purse, escorted the female suspect to the back of a patrol car.
"I just got shook up. I just got shook up," Jimenez said.
The suspect's arrest might explain how this happened. She was a taken in for DWI.
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death 20 min ago
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 23 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- New cameras to help cops settle disputes
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck 23 min ago
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day