Suspect charged with killing mother with toddler sitting nearby
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Police have arrested a suspect who's now charged with killing a mother as her one-year-old baby sat in a high chair nearby.
The deadly shooting happened at 8520 Pitner about 11am on November 8. Vanessa Rodriguez, 23, was shot multiple times but managed to call 911 for help. HPD officers found her on the floor of her apartment. She was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital where she died. Rodriguez's one-year-old child was also found unharmed inside the apartment.
The investigation led officiers to suspect Neil Mukherjee, 20, in the killing. HPD homicide investigators, with assistance from local law enforcement in Donna, Texas, arrested him there on Thursday without incident.
Mukherjee is charged with capital murder in the 184th State District Court.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 57 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail