Thanksgiving Big Super Feast returning to GRB
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two annual Thanksgiving events to help feed those in need in the Houston area are returning this year -- combined, and bigger and better than ever.
The Big Feast by City Wide Club and the Super Feast by Waste Management have joined together for the first time to create the 34th annual Thanksgiving Big Super Feast at the George R. Brown Convention Center.
It's not just a free home-cooked Thanksgiving dinner being offered. Free medical screenings, flu shots, haircuts, long-distance calls and employment information will also be available as well as free blankets, clothes, food, toys and household items.
Doors will open at 10am Thanksgiving Day.
The feast is expected to serve more than 25,000 men, women and children this year. The traditional meal will include turkey and dressing, yams, green beans, corn, sweet peas, cranberry sauce and an array of desserts. There will also be live entertainment and a kid's zone complete with games and photos with Santa Claus.
Organizers are asking for your help to make it happen. Volunteer opportunities are available. You can register to help at www.citywideclub.com.
They are still accepting donations of turkeys, canned goods, clothing, household items and cash to help meet their goal. Donations can be mailed to City Wide Club, P. O. Box 8446, Houston, TX 77288 or submitted online at www.citywideclub.com.
You can also drop off donations at Koinonia Community Center, 3229 Hadley in Houston, as well as other local donation sites.
If you or someone you know is in need of assistance or would benefit from a free food basket or hot turkey dinner, call 713-752-CLUB to make reservations. To receive food baskets, you must call in and write to City Wide Club, P. O. Box 8446, Houston, TX 77288, Attention: Family Assistance Department.
For more information, visit the City Wide Club website or call 713-752-CLUB.
City Wide Club Regional Project Director Stephanie Lewis joined us in the ABC13 studio to tell us more about this year's event. Click here to watch the interview.
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies 13 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 14 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game