Vigil held for man fatally struck at crosswalk
SOUTH HOUSTON, TX (KTRK) -- While family and friends gathered Sunday night in memory of a man who was fatally struck by a car in South Houston, police were working to find the hit-and-run driver who is responsible for his death.
The accident happened just before 10pm Saturday in the 800 block of Spencer Highway at 8th Street.
Police said a car hit Oscar Gonzalez in the middle of the crosswalk, but the driver never stopped.
Gonzalez, 61, was airlifted to Memorial Herman Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
According to witness statements, the car that struck Gonzalez possibly was a Ford Contour. It was red or maroon, police said, and it likely will have heavy front end damage.
Family and friends gathered Sunday night for a vigil at a business near where he was killed.
Gonzalez's daughter, Roxie, told us her father was a good man who loved to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
"He was always making jokes, always making everybody smile, always making everybody laugh; you always see him smile," she said. "He's just so loving. He's always the life of the party. No matter where you went to."
Anyone with information on this accident or the suspect vehicle is asked to call the South Houston Police Department at 713-944-1910.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident