Vigil held for man fatally struck at crosswalk
SOUTH HOUSTON, TX (KTRK) -- While family and friends gathered Sunday night in memory of a man who was fatally struck by a car in South Houston, police were working to find the hit-and-run driver who is responsible for his death.
The accident happened just before 10pm Saturday in the 800 block of Spencer Highway at 8th Street.
Police said a car hit Oscar Gonzalez in the middle of the crosswalk, but the driver never stopped.
Gonzalez, 61, was airlifted to Memorial Herman Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
According to witness statements, the car that struck Gonzalez possibly was a Ford Contour. It was red or maroon, police said, and it likely will have heavy front end damage.
Family and friends gathered Sunday night for a vigil at a business near where he was killed.
Gonzalez's daughter, Roxie, told us her father was a good man who loved to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
"He was always making jokes, always making everybody smile, always making everybody laugh; you always see him smile," she said. "He's just so loving. He's always the life of the party. No matter where you went to."
Anyone with information on this accident or the suspect vehicle is asked to call the South Houston Police Department at 713-944-1910.
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- 2013 College bowl schedule
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour record
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- Officials find 11 dead whales in Florida Keys
- Local post offices open Sundays for holiday rush
- No more ice, but cold weather continues