HCSO: Drunk dad with kid in vehicle fatally strikes another driver
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators say a man was drunk and driving with his son when he hit a vehicle and killed another driver.
Just before 8pm Sunday, Harris County Sheriff's deputies say Shannon Smith was traveling southbound in the 9800 block of Barker Cypress in the first lane of traffic and passed a slower-moving vehicle. Smith failed to drive in a single marked lane, striking the slower vehicle, investigators say.
Smith then lost control of his vehicle, causing the vehicle to enter into the oncoming lanes of traffic, and striking another vehicle which was traveling northbound in the 9800 block of Barker Cypress.
The male victim suffered life-threatening injuries and died at the scene.
Investigators say Smith, who had his 10-year-old son in the vehicle with him at the time of the crash, was found to be intoxicated. He was charged with intoxication manslaughter and DWI with child passenger, both felonies.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer