HLSR donates $250,000 to Memorial Park for reforestation
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo awarded $250,000 to the Memorial Park Conservancy for reforestation of the iconic Houston landmark.
"Memorial Park has been the home of our trail riders for nearly 60 years, and many of our 28,000 volunteers are Houstonians who consider the park a wonderful recreation area year-round," said Show Chairman of the Board R.H. "Steve" Stevens Jr. "Reforestation efforts span the state of Texas, which was hit so hard by the drought in 2011. We have scholarship students majoring in forestry, horticulture, parks and recreation, land use and planning, and other related subjects, helping with these efforts state-wide."
The Memorial Park Conservancy is one of nearly 40 Texas educational program grants supported by the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Educational Fund.
"We are thrilled with the support from the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo," said Jim Porter, chairman of the board of Memorial Park Conservancy. "This very generous donation will allow the Conservancy to continue our reforestation efforts and further our mission to restore, preserve and enhance Memorial Park for the enjoyment of all Houstonians, today and tomorrow."
This financial support is part of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo's 2013 educational commitment of more than $24 million, which also includes scholarships to Texas high school students, support of young livestock exhibitors, funding for a variety of leadership opportunities for young Texans, and more.
The 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs Feb. 25 through March 17.
houston livestock show and rodeo, local
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Notable events that happened on this date in history 59 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast 27 min ago
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today? 24 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets
- Avoid baggage fees with packing tips from a pro 31 min ago
- Mutton bustin' champ explains his strategy
16 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with packing tips from a...
31 min ago