Woman, girl injured after jumping off moving semi
EDNA, TX (KTRK) -- A woman and a young girl are in the hospital after they fell off the top of a semi-truck in Edna.
It happened late last night on Highway 59 year Highway 111 in Edna.
Jackson County Sheriff's deputies say the adult woman and a girl, who's about 10 years old, had managed to sneak on top of the cab of the truck. Deputies say the pair were surfing on the cab as the truck moved at freeway speeds, possibly as high as 75 miles per hour, and then jumped off. Both were seriously hurt.
Deputies say both the girl and woman are believed to be illegal immigrants, possibly from El Salvador. The truck driver did stop, telling police he didn't know the woman and girl were up there until right before they jumped. He was not charged.
Stay with Eyewitness News for more on this developing story.
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 24 min ago
- Severe weather clears Houston 41 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 5 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 8 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 17 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?