HPD: 19 suspected illegal immigrants found in house
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police were called to an assault Sunday night and ended up finding more than a dozen suspected illegal immigrants in a house, officials said.
It happened at a home in the 9300 block of Klondike at Easthaven in southeast Houston around 1:15pm.
Police said they arrived at the scene looking for a man who was injured during an assault, but he was gone. Instead, they found 19 people in the home.
"When we got here we learned that there was information that there may be people being held, possibly against their will," HPD Sgt. George Mixon said.
According to police, they are possibly from Honduras, Mexico and Guatemala. They range in age from late teens to 20s.
"We actually have now 19 people in custody that are going to be transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement personnel," Mixon said.
Investigators said the man who was allegedly assaulted has not been located. Police are looking for him.
"That was one that actually left the scene We've got to look out for them," Mixon said. "We don't have any information on them at this time."
ICE is investigating. Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates.
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 46 min ago
- HISD to decide fate of 2 schools at risk of closure
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live chat about blood donations
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport 7 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers 41 min ago
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home