Two die after slamming into stalled SUV
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two people died early Monday when their vehicle slammed into a stalled SUV on the North Freeway, officials said.
It happened around 1:20am on the southbound lanes of I-45 near Aldine Bender.
According to police, a blue Ford Expedition was stalled on the freeway when a white Volkswagon Pointer slammed into the back of it.
Police said the driver of the Volkswagon, a 29-year-old man, died at the scene. His 27-year-old male passenger, who was trapped in the vehicle for 30 minutes before being cut out by first responders, was transported to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Their names have not been released.
The driver of the SUV was not injured, officials said.
Authorities shut down all southbound lanes of I-45 for several hours. The accident was cleared just before 5am.
There are no charges in this case.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale