Houston gets shuttle program souvenir after all!
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We all watched as the space shuttle Endeavour flew over Houston back in September. It was the last time we would get to see a shuttle fly, even if it was strapped to the back of a jumbo jet.
Now it looks like plans have changed for that jet, and it's headed back to Houston.
The shuttle carrier aircraft is another big part of the space shuttle program. Several space websites are reporting that one of the planes scheduled to be disassembled and used for spare parts will now stay the Johnson Space Center.
Preserving the special 747 is something many people in the Clear Lake area say they'd like to see.
"Unfortunately, we didn't get any of the actual shuttles but anything associated with the shuttle, like the shuttle terminator aircraft of the 747 or the simulators, they ought to be here," said George Abbey with the Rice University Baker Institute.
"Anything that has to do with the shuttle program belongs in Houston because this is where the program's trained, this is where the program was administered, this is where everything happened with the shuttle and it should be here," health food store owner John Milstead said.
"It's a good thing. At least we have something," Frenchie's restaurant owner Frankie Camera said.
The people there say they support anything the Johnson Space Center can get related to the space shuttle program, but there are still some very hard feelings that Houston didn't get one of the actual shuttles that made flight.
The 747 is already at Ellington Field, but there's no word yet regarding further plans.
local, christine dobbyn
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat 46 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery