Surgeon pleads guilty in child porn case
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston surgeon has pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography in a plea deal sending him to federal prison for 10 years.
Prosecutors say Dr. Bernard Albina, 73, pleaded guilty Tuesday. He was arrested in January and remains in custody.
Investigators say Albina since 2003 inappropriately associated with several young boys and took photos of some of the children. Prosecutors say search warrants carried out in July 2009 led to the recovery of dozens of items from Albina containing child pornography.
As part of the plea agreement, Albina will serve the maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison to be followed by at least five years of supervised release. He will pay a $75,000 fine. Formal sentencing is set for March 12, 2013. He will remain in custody until that time.
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water 29 min ago
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Police: West Houston apartment fire was no accident 19 min ago
- Drugs involved in deadly shooting in NW Harris Co., say deputies 17 min ago
- No charges expected after pedestrian hit in NW Harris Co. 16 min ago
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong 8 min ago
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Casey Curry's Friday forecast
25 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos