Police investigating death threat against Houston Councilman Al Hoang
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston City Council member and his family are at home under the watchful eye of a police officer because of a serious threat he's received.
Councilman Al Hoang appears to be locked in a political battle over how to battle the communist regime of his home country of Vietnam. It's now escalated to the point of someone leaving an explosive device on the doorstep of his home.
When Hoang greeted the nanny at his home Tuesday morning, both noticed an odd item -- a bottle filled with a pungent liquid.
"I just don't want my kids to be exposed to these kinds of things. They are very scared," Hoang said.
Houston police say around 7:45am, they received a call regarding the suspicious item. Officers responded and determined the bottled was filled with a flammable liquid. Bomb squad agents arrived and removed the possible Molotov cocktail.
A neighbor says his wife was so worried that she called him home from work.
"She talked to the bomb squad people and they said they'd found a Molotov cocktail, whatever it actually was and it didn't do anything so they felt good about that,"
Hoang, who fled his communist native country Vietnam in 1975, says he believes the retaliation is from fellow Vietnamese Americans who want him to advocate a violent overthrow of the communist government of his home country.
As an officer watched over his house overnight, the Houston councilman says he hopes that was the last of any political strong army.
"What they want to do is scare me and to threaten me so that I can back down but I will not back down," Hoang said.
HazMat is now testing the liquid to determine its exact contents.
Meanwhile, HPD is looking at potential suspects.
local, erik barajas
- Lockdown at Kemah Walmart lifted 6 min ago
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive 27 min ago
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 46 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290