Elderly woman falls victim to house fire in SE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators say a woman with Alzheimer's disease died after she apparently forgot she was cooking something on the stove last night in southeast Houston.
The fire broke out at a home in the 6500 block of Roxbury near Luce. A woman in her 90s and her son live there, but the son was at a friend's home when the fire started.
When the son returned to the house, he saw the smoke and flames and tried to get his mother out of the house, but the smoke was too thick. He started banging on a neighbor's house, yelling that his house was on fire and his mother was trapped inside.
The woman's son actually made it inside the home, but was overcome with smoke and had to run out. The neighbor also tried to get in, but realized just how dangerous the situation was.
"I crawled over to the chair and drug it out to see if I could see in the house and I was going to go in but he said, 'Don't go in there. The smoke was too heavy.' And it was too heavy cause it was getting me," said neighbor John Johnson.
When firefighters arrived, they were able to make entry and find the elderly woman. They carried her from the home and gave her CPR. She was then transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where she later died.
The son who lives at this home with his mother was not taken to the hospital for treatment and is said to be OK after being overcome by smoke.
Right now, firefighters believe food left on the stove could have been the cause for this fire.
This is the second time in two days a house fire in our area has claimed the life of its occupant. Just yesterday, a woman on Houston's south side died when flames broke out in her home.
- Police investigating attempted smash-and-grab 24 min ago
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling 29 min ago
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight 33 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire 15 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded 13 min ago
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Fiat recalling more than 18,000 2014 Fiat 500Ls
- Cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
40 min ago
- Reviving Historic Fifth Ward
17 min ago