One person killed, 11 injured in pedestrian-bus accident near Texas Medical Center
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A pedestrian was pinned to a pole and killed, and 11 others were hospitalized in an accident involving at least one pedestrian and a bus near the Texas Medical Center.
The accident happened just before 5:45pm Wednesday in the 1700 block of Holcombe Boulevard after the driver of a bus carrying Med Center employees somehow lost control. Investigators tell us even a passenger on that bus tried to help as that driver lost control.
As thousands of Med Center workers finished their day, the sound of the crash caught their attention.
"It was loud," witness Neno Mesa said.
Police say the driver of this shuttle bus carrying employees lost control and crashed into a stoplight pole, pinning a woman between the two and initiating a big effort by those around to try and save her.
"They tried to push, even me, I tried to go and hurry and help but no way, the bus couldn't be moved," Mesa said.
"A bunch of people ran up and were passing out on the ground, I guess from what they were seeing. The rest of us were just counting to three and pushing, counting to three and pushing. We were trying to get it off of her," Med Center employee Alexis Perez said.
This accident involved their own.
"I'm just concerned and curious to know who it is," Houston Fire Department Chief Fernando Herrera said.
Firefighters say 11 people were transported. Five were treated at the scene.
"When the first units arrived on location, there were many people sitting here on the grass who exited the vehicle on their own," Herrera said.
A woman waiting to cross the street never made it home tonight.
"I walk this way every day to and from work. I always cross at the crosswalk because I know how dangerous it can be," Medical Center employee Allison Laudano.
Those around just watched with sadness knowing it could have just as easily been one of them.
"I'm thankful, thankful for my family and to be alive. I just pray for her family," Perez said.
Investigators say they have not yet ruled out the possibility the driver of that shuttle bus may have had some kind of medical condition right before the crash.
The female victim has been identified as 43-year-old Carlet Michelle Blake.
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 28 min ago
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20