Burglary suspect shot by deputy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A home burglary didn't go as planned for two men in a west Harris County neighborhood. One of them ended up shot and in the hospital.
One of the suspects told deputies they were out looking for a home to burglarize. On Thursday morning they found one, but the only thing they made off with was handcuffs.
"Hysterical, I was extremely afraid and just wanted to make sure things were OK," explained homeowner Deborah Smith. "They told me someone had gotten shot, but I didn't know if they were dead or alive."
Smith was at work when her phone rang. It was the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
"They told me that my house was being robbed," she said.
Sheriff's deputies say it was a silent burglar alarm that led them to Smith's house, and when they arrived officials say they found two suspects leaving the home. One of them was a 33-year-old man armed with a gun.
"At that time deputies ordered the suspect to drop his weapon. He did not," said Deputy Thomas Gilliland with the Harris County Sheriff's Office. "The deputy discharged his weapon, striking the suspect one time in the upper thigh."
Neighbor Nasser Quressi said, "I could hear him moaning and groaning from around the corner. Then a few minutes later the ambulance came and took him away."
That's when authorities say his 47-year-old partner in crime ran and barricaded himself inside the house. Deputies called for a SWAT team and negotiators.
"They had the loud speakers on and they were saying come out of the house with your hands up," Quressi recalled.
About an hour later the suspect surrendered and was arrested.
Smith says though she may have some cleaning up to do...
"(Officials) did say my house is messed up and (the suspects) were taking things into my garage," she said.
... she can't help but be thankful.
"I am grateful that my family wasn't here," Smith said. "I'm grateful that they didn't get away with anything. I mean it could have been worse."
Deputies say the injured suspect is in good condition at the hospital. The other suspect is in custody. There's no word on any charges they may face at this time.
local, samica knight
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 59 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 43 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 43 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 20 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 27 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 31 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
8 min ago