Two Houston $1 million Powerball winners identified after claiming prizes
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There are two people in our area who won't have to worry about paying the bills anytime soon. They are the two whose Powerball numbers won them a million dollars each, and now we know who they are.
Those local winners wanted little to no publicity when they went to claim all of that prize money, but all the hype's not stopping one of the southwest-side stores that sold one of those tickets from celebrating.
Stop By Grocery on Boone Road is booming with business right now. The store's owner, Byung Choe, says he's staying busy now that word's getting around he sold one of this week's million dollar tickets in the record $550 million Powerball drawing.
"Oh yeah, everybody. Busy, busy today, yeah," Choe said.
Late Friday afternoon, the Texas Lottery released the names and store locations where the lucky local million-dollar prize tickets were purchased.
Texas Lottery says Kathleen Komatinsky bought her million-dollar prize ticket at Timewise Food Store on FM1960 in Humble. And it was Abraham Chavira who's now $1 million richer with a lucky ticket he picked up at Stop By Market.
"Yeah very exciting. I sold it at my store. My customer, you know," Choe said.
Choe says his customers are no strangers to big lottery winnings. He says his wall of fame is a reminder of just how Lady Luck continues to look over those who Stop By to take their chances.
We spoke with a few of one of the local winner's neighbors, and they say they're not surprised she was one of the big Powerball winners. They say she's has a reputation for playing the lottery.
By the way, two other one million dollar tickets were sold in Texas -- one in Dallas and one San Antonio.
local, demond fernandez
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 34 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 1 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student