Reserve deputies nab 16 suspects in fugitive roundup
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deputy unit made up of volunteers rounded up more than a dozen fugitives this weekend in Harris County. The reserve deputies take time out of their daily lives to clean up their communities and the county.
The volunteer Harris County reserve deputies got an early start to Saturday morning. They were about to round up wanted individuals throughout the county. Before hitting the streets, they said a prayer.
"Other than that, please be safe. Let's go out and get some bad guys," said Chief Kevin Maples with the Harris Co. Sheriffs Office.
The reserves, known as the Special Operations Division of the Sheriff's Office, were divided into five teams on Saturday morning. Each team had 10 felony warrants for which they were hoping to make arrests.
"Our job is to go look for them. Their job is to go hide from us," said Chief Maples.
A total of 16 warrants were cleared this weekend. The teams went door to door at residences where they believe criminals may be hiding out.
In some instances, they may not find the person they were looking for, but stumble upon others breaking the law.
"When we entered the house, we found a very strong odor of marijuana and we found the marijuana in the house. Two of the persons inside the home admitted to having the marijuana so we will be taking those persons in," said Harris Co. Sheriff's Office Deputy Sunil Patel.
The Special Operations Division conducts about one warrant sweep per month, and they say even with just a few arrests they consider it a successful mission.
On days they are not rounding up criminals, they are working their normal 9-to-5 jobs.
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots 21 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 59 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 15 min ago
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you 6 min ago
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Video: Treating asthma by burning the lungs
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive?
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble 5 min ago