Reserve deputies nab 16 suspects in fugitive roundup
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A deputy unit made up of volunteers rounded up more than a dozen fugitives this weekend in Harris County. The reserve deputies take time out of their daily lives to clean up their communities and the county.
The volunteer Harris County reserve deputies got an early start to Saturday morning. They were about to round up wanted individuals throughout the county. Before hitting the streets, they said a prayer.
"Other than that, please be safe. Let's go out and get some bad guys," said Chief Kevin Maples with the Harris Co. Sheriffs Office.
The reserves, known as the Special Operations Division of the Sheriff's Office, were divided into five teams on Saturday morning. Each team had 10 felony warrants for which they were hoping to make arrests.
"Our job is to go look for them. Their job is to go hide from us," said Chief Maples.
A total of 16 warrants were cleared this weekend. The teams went door to door at residences where they believe criminals may be hiding out.
In some instances, they may not find the person they were looking for, but stumble upon others breaking the law.
"When we entered the house, we found a very strong odor of marijuana and we found the marijuana in the house. Two of the persons inside the home admitted to having the marijuana so we will be taking those persons in," said Harris Co. Sheriff's Office Deputy Sunil Patel.
The Special Operations Division conducts about one warrant sweep per month, and they say even with just a few arrests they consider it a successful mission.
On days they are not rounding up criminals, they are working their normal 9-to-5 jobs.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 8 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 37 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Fight involving more than 50 people breaks out at funeral home 7 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker truck 22 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her 17 min ago
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing 15 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote