One suspect arrested, three more on the run after high-speed chase
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police are searching for several men who may be responsible for a series of robberies in north Houston. The chase started on Airline Drive when police tried to pull over a car, and the driver refused to stop.
Joshua Dewayne Smith, 20, was taken into custody overnight. Houston police say he's one of four men who led officers on a high-speed chase.
"I could hear the helicopters and the police sirens, and usually when stuff like that goes on, I pay it no mind because usually this street right here is a pretty cool street," said neighbor Daymon Young.
Investigators say the trouble all started during a traffic stop at Airline and Dyna drives when the suspects almost hit a patrol car with a gray Buick LeSabre. Police say the suspicious-acting driver and passengers didn't obey several officers orders to stop.
"I pulled along in front of them to make them stop. They U-turned beside me," said HPD Sergeant John Nickell.
He says the men led police on a five-minute long chase. He says at times, the suspects were seen throwing evidence from their getaway car.
"They threw two pistols out in front of me along the road," Sgt. Nickell said. "I let officers know where they were at and they recovered those."
The chase ended at the Timber Ridge apartments on Aeropark. Police say the four men jumped from the Buick and ran. Officers say they found Smith hiding on someone's patio at the complex.
"Really frightening. Really frightening," said neighbor Carery Allen.
Investigators say Smith claims he was just a passenger. He is charged with evading arrest.
Police say they are trying to determine if he and the other three men can be linked to any more crimes in the Greenspoint and Northline area.
Police are asking anyone with information about the suspects who are on the run to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
local, demond fernandez
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 53 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale