Conroe man gets prison for theft of mom's benefits
HOUSTON -- An 81-year-old Houston-area man must serve 18 months in prison for stealing the Social Security benefits of his mother who died in 1984.
A federal judge in Houston also ordered Kline Fisher Budd of the Conroe area to repay more than $243,000. Budd in August pleaded guilty to theft of government property.
Officials in late 2010 began to review benefits for Willa Mae Shaughnesy, who at the time would have been 104 years old.
Authorities located a death certificate that indicated Shaughnesy died in November 1984. Prosecutors say the woman and her son had a joint bank account and her Social Security benefits kept being electronically deposited.
A judge accepted the plea agreement Friday and took into consideration Budd's age and health issues when sentencing him to prison.
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston