Conroe man gets prison for theft of mom's benefits
HOUSTON -- An 81-year-old Houston-area man must serve 18 months in prison for stealing the Social Security benefits of his mother who died in 1984.
A federal judge in Houston also ordered Kline Fisher Budd of the Conroe area to repay more than $243,000. Budd in August pleaded guilty to theft of government property.
Officials in late 2010 began to review benefits for Willa Mae Shaughnesy, who at the time would have been 104 years old.
Authorities located a death certificate that indicated Shaughnesy died in November 1984. Prosecutors say the woman and her son had a joint bank account and her Social Security benefits kept being electronically deposited.
A judge accepted the plea agreement Friday and took into consideration Budd's age and health issues when sentencing him to prison.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 32 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 33 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 9 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 3 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her