'Bully' goat chases, tries to bite kids near school in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A loose goat was rounded up Tuesday morning after reportedly scaring students trying to get to school in northeast Houston.
The incident was by far the highlight of the day, possibly the year, at Lamar Fleming Middle School, as well as for folks who live nearby.
It's not every day an animal gets folks so riled up. A goat, sauntering down the road, was caught on camera Tuesday morning making its way onto a middle school campus.
"He's a mean old goat," Carl Johnson told us.
He called 911 when he heard a commotion outside his front door.
"The landlord right there come out and had his broom and shooed him on up this way," he said.
Right in the path of Lamar Fleming.
"I was thinking, do I corral it or do I bring it into the school to enroll?" joked the school principal.
She ushered 400 students into the cafeteria and called animal control.
"It had a chain around its neck, so I'm believing it to be somebody's neighborhood pet and it just probably broke free," the principal said.
At some point, the goat became aggressive and tried to head butt and bite some of the students.
While neighbors watched on, wondering how it got loose. The goat didn't hurt anyone or resist arrest.
"If he'd have hurt one of those kids, he probably would have hurt them bad," said Johnson.
And he's only welcome back under one condition.
"We're always looking for a new mascot," said Lamar Fleming's principal.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says the goat is in the county pen. He'll be there for 18 business days. If no one claims him, he'll go to the county auction.
local, sonia azad
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born 43 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends!