'Bully' goat chases, tries to bite kids near school in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A loose goat was rounded up Tuesday morning after reportedly scaring students trying to get to school in northeast Houston.
The incident was by far the highlight of the day, possibly the year, at Lamar Fleming Middle School, as well as for folks who live nearby.
It's not every day an animal gets folks so riled up. A goat, sauntering down the road, was caught on camera Tuesday morning making its way onto a middle school campus.
"He's a mean old goat," Carl Johnson told us.
He called 911 when he heard a commotion outside his front door.
"The landlord right there come out and had his broom and shooed him on up this way," he said.
Right in the path of Lamar Fleming.
"I was thinking, do I corral it or do I bring it into the school to enroll?" joked the school principal.
She ushered 400 students into the cafeteria and called animal control.
"It had a chain around its neck, so I'm believing it to be somebody's neighborhood pet and it just probably broke free," the principal said.
At some point, the goat became aggressive and tried to head butt and bite some of the students.
While neighbors watched on, wondering how it got loose. The goat didn't hurt anyone or resist arrest.
"If he'd have hurt one of those kids, he probably would have hurt them bad," said Johnson.
And he's only welcome back under one condition.
"We're always looking for a new mascot," said Lamar Fleming's principal.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says the goat is in the county pen. He'll be there for 18 business days. If no one claims him, he'll go to the county auction.
local, sonia azad
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today