'Bully' goat chases, tries to bite kids near school in NE Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A loose goat was rounded up Tuesday morning after reportedly scaring students trying to get to school in northeast Houston.
The incident was by far the highlight of the day, possibly the year, at Lamar Fleming Middle School, as well as for folks who live nearby.
It's not every day an animal gets folks so riled up. A goat, sauntering down the road, was caught on camera Tuesday morning making its way onto a middle school campus.
"He's a mean old goat," Carl Johnson told us.
He called 911 when he heard a commotion outside his front door.
"The landlord right there come out and had his broom and shooed him on up this way," he said.
Right in the path of Lamar Fleming.
"I was thinking, do I corral it or do I bring it into the school to enroll?" joked the school principal.
She ushered 400 students into the cafeteria and called animal control.
"It had a chain around its neck, so I'm believing it to be somebody's neighborhood pet and it just probably broke free," the principal said.
At some point, the goat became aggressive and tried to head butt and bite some of the students.
While neighbors watched on, wondering how it got loose. The goat didn't hurt anyone or resist arrest.
"If he'd have hurt one of those kids, he probably would have hurt them bad," said Johnson.
And he's only welcome back under one condition.
"We're always looking for a new mascot," said Lamar Fleming's principal.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office says the goat is in the county pen. He'll be there for 18 business days. If no one claims him, he'll go to the county auction.
local, sonia azad
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats 33 min ago
- Dog shoplifts and buries treats
33 min ago
- Driverless car mystery solved
33 min ago