Norwegian Cruise Line officially signs to cruise out of Bayport Cruise Terminal in Pasadena
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There was a big welcome for hundreds of new jobs and millions for the economy that will soon be cruising into Pasadena. Norwegian Cruise Line Wednesday officially signed on to sail out of the Bayport Cruise Terminal.
This is a very exciting endeavor, particularly for the City of Pasadena as well as nearby La Porte and Deer Park. The ceremonial signing between the Port of Houston Authority and the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line happened Wednesday morning.
The Norwegian is coming back to the Houston area after more than a decade. Local leaders are hoping this deal will re-energize the market and the Bayport Cruise Terminal. The agreement is a three year deal for now. It will bring in 200 jobs, half of which are new jobs. And with 75 committed sailings the dollars pumped into the local economy over three years are estimated to reach $150 million.
"We hope that your customers though will come in a day or two early and stay in our facilities, our hotels, go to our restaurants, go see the Battleship Texas, San Jacinto Monument and NASA. I mean, we have a lot to see around here. Houston has a lot to offer, too," said Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbell.
Nearby attractions like the San Jacinto Monument, Space Center Houston and the Kemah Boardwalk all hope to benefit.
The Norwegian Jewel will offer 7-day sails to the western Caribbean. Cruises will begin in the fall of 2014.
Princess Cruise Lines is also going to sail out of Bayport.
Several 13 Undercover reports show how the terminal sat empty for several years after Harris County built the terminal for $106 million.
pasadena, local, sonia azad
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 48 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 43 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 51 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born