Alert deputy, witness help nab suspected bank robbers
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Quick action by an alert Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office deputy and aid from a witness led to the arrest of two men for robbing a bank Wednesday afternoon.
At about 3:30pm Wednesday, Deputy K. Barrett was driving southbound on Highway 6 near Bissonnet and spotted a man wearing a baseball cap and a towel covering his face. The man was entering the Bank of America, located on tin the 9200 block of Highway 6 in the Houston area of Fort Bend County.
Barrett pulled his car across the median on Highway 6 and entered the parking lot. By then, the suspect had entered and was exiting the bank and the deputy began chasing him on foot.
The chase crossed Highway 6 again, and at one point, the deputy lost sight of the suspect. However, a witness came forward and told a second responding deputy the suspect had jumped into a red Chevrolet Impala. The witness also had seen the license plate number on the vehicle.
As the pursuit was picked up by other deputies, Barrett returned to the bank where staff members told him they had been robbed by a man who entered the bank armed with a handgun and demanding money. They complied and the man exited. There were no injuries.
In the meantime, deputies got an address from the license plate number and at about 5:20pm went to a house in the 7100 block of South Pinesap in Harris County where they found the suspect, identified as Luis Hernandez, and one other.
Facing aggravated robbery charges are Hernandez, 28, and Oscar Duran, 20, both of Houston. The stolen cash was recovered. Both men remain in the Fort Bend County Jail.
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 5 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat 47 min ago
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room