Houston special agents seize stolen 16th century tapestry
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) agents last month seized a 16th century tapestry stolen from Spain, under the National Stolen Property Act.
The tapestry was seized in November from a local business under an HSI initiative called "Hidden Relic." This initiative is designed to investigate, recover and repatriate stolen cultural property.
"HSI understands the cultural and historical significance of protecting a country's treasures," said Brian M. Moskowitz, special agent in charge of HSI Houston. "Our special agents are at the forefront of the effort to identify and return these important items to their lawful owners in the same way we would want our global partners to return America's artifacts in the event they were ever stolen."
The Government of Spain requested assistance to seize the property, indicating that the tapestry was stolen in December 1979 from the cathedral in Roda de Isabena, Spain.
The tapestry depicts the Virgin Mary and Saint Vincent of Saragossa. It was produced in the 16th century and was part of the cathedral's collection that was declared a national monument by royal decree in 1924.
In January 2010, the tapestry was displayed for sale at the Brussels Antiques and Fine Arts Fair (BRAFA) in Brussels, Belgium. It subsequently sold at auction for $369,000 to a business in Houston. The Spanish Civil Guard's Heritage Protection Group learned of the sale. After investigating, it obtained a court order, and under the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) requested assistance in recovering the stolen property.
- Detectives: Road rage leads to fatal shooting
- High-water rescues reported in San Antonio area
- Montgomery County DWI cases under scrutiny
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Scattered storms possible in our area this weekend
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Coast Guard searching for missing 18-year-old swimmer
- Video shows person of interest in Cy-Fair area arson
- Person found shot, killed in SW Houston parking lot
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- Man accused of shooting girlfriend's relatives in SE Houston
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboards, rides toy cars 16 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos