Boy, 3, dies in Magnolia mobile home fire
MAGNOLIA, TX (KTRK) -- A fire in Montgomery County killed a three-year-old boy Saturday morning.
It happened just after1am at a 30-foot travel trailer mobile home in the 19000 block of Todd Road near F.M. 1488, west of Magnolia.
The Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office says three-year-old Dakota Myers and his 10-year-old cousin were asleep. Dakota's mother tells us she was next door when the home burst into flames.
As soon Dakota's mother and her neighbors smelled the smoke and saw the flames, they tried to save the children, but the flames were too intense.
Neighbors reportedly ran into the home. Some of them even burned themselves while trying to save the boys.
"Several attempts were made, not only by firefighters, but by family members and friends to get in the travel trailer, but not successful," said Scott Burlin, Assistant Fire Marshal in Montgomery County. "Too much fire and flame."
The 10-year-old managed to get out of the home, but the three-year-old did not.
Firefighters eventually got the blaze under control and gained entry, but Dakota was already dead. His body was found in a back room.
The 10-year-old and another adult at the scene were treated for smoke inhalation.
There is no word yet on what started the fire, but investigators say the home was not equipped with any working smoke detectors. Working smoke detectors are especially important in homes with small children or elderly residents, officials say. Children under four and the elderly are four times more likely to die in a home fire than the average person, according to the fire marshal's office.
The boy's grandmother, Sheila Landreneau, barely had words Saturday to describe the family's loss.
"Koty was special. Very special," she said. "He's going to be missed so much. I just can't believe something like this happened to him, because it's not right."
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for more information as it becomes available.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course