Man accused of downloading child porn over his neighbor's Wi-Fi
NEW CANEY, TX (KTRK) -- Montgomery County authorities thought they were right on track. They say someone was trading in child pornography, and they knew where it was coming from. But there was one little twist in the case.
Jeremy Michael Edwards, 30, is accused of downloading child porn and of being a deceptive neighbor. The combination landed him in handcuffs Wednesday morning, being frisked by deputy constables.
Nickolas Markeson said, "I'm like what the hell is going on?"
Markeson said that Edwards lives behind him in the mobile home park in New Caney and he thought the man was a good friend and neighbor until Montgomery County Precinct 4 deputies showed up to raid Markeson's home Wednesday morning.
"They were saying something about they were looking for child pornography," Markeson said. "They asked me about a certain site that I'd never heard of."
Markeson says the problem is that he was allowing his neighbor to use his Wi-Fi password to access the internet for months. Investigators say Edwards was using Markeson's IP address to secretly view and download numerous images of child pornography.
'When I found out that this was going through my line, I was speechless," Markeson said. "I couldn't even figure out what was going on after that."
Deputies raided Edwards' home, seizing computers and other electronics. He's now in jail charged with three felony counts of possession of child pornography. And Nickolas Markeson says he feels betrayed by a so-called friend.
"If you have a Wi-Fi modem, I would suggest you shut off the Wi-Fi, or put a very difficult passcode to lock up your router," he suggested.
Edwards is being held at the Montgomery County Jail on $90,000 bond.
Montgomery County Precinct 4 is working on this investigation along with Department of Homeland Security and the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office.
local, demond fernandez
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston