Hot plate leads to man's death in Galveston house fire
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Fire investigators say a Galveston man died in a house fire sparked by the hot plate he was using to stay warm.
It happened in the 2400 block of Avenue P 1/2 late Tuesday night. Investigators say 77-year-old Brady Matthews had the hot plate very close to his bed when it caught fire. Firefighters were able to rescue Matthews' wife, but could not get to him.
Firefighters want to remind residents to think about fire safety when trying to stay warm during this cold front.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 41 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 39 min ago
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven 21 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Gov. Perry to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
24 min ago