Hot plate leads to man's death in Galveston house fire
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Fire investigators say a Galveston man died in a house fire sparked by the hot plate he was using to stay warm.
It happened in the 2400 block of Avenue P 1/2 late Tuesday night. Investigators say 77-year-old Brady Matthews had the hot plate very close to his bed when it caught fire. Firefighters were able to rescue Matthews' wife, but could not get to him.
Firefighters want to remind residents to think about fire safety when trying to stay warm during this cold front.
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Girl, 10, found safely after overnight search
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 1 min ago
- Police: Multiple casualties following London theater collapse 2 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 45 min ago
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 31 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos