Body of man who jumped from Galveston Causeway found
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- The body of a man who jumped from the Galveston Causeway has been found.
The search for 39-year-old Vinshay Erroshaun Lewis concluded Friday upon discovery of his body in Galveston Bay near Sportsman Road. Authorities say Lewis parked his vehicle and jumped over the rail of the Galveston Causeway last Thursday after a brief conversation with a wrecker driver. Efforts to find the body had not been successful and Lewis' family reached out more than a week later to Texas Equusearch for assistance in resuming the search.
Equusearch provided a command post and organizations split portions of Galveston Bay adjacent to the Galveston Causeway into search quadrants, scouring the shorelines, reefs and piers.
Lewis' body was spotted by the Galveston County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter unit at approximately 12:25pm near Sportsman Road in Galveston Bay.
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing