HISD police arrest student with gun at Sterling High School
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 14-year-old male student was arrested Wednesday after being found in possession of a loaded handgun at Sterling High School.
The arrest was made at 10:48am, roughly 10 minutes after campus-based Houston Independent School District police officers received a tip from the Houston Police Department that the student may have a gun.
Houston police were investigating an allegation that the student used the weapon to threaten an individual off campus on Tuesday afternoon. The HISD police officers took the student into custody without incident and confiscated the weapon after searching him.
The student told HISD police he was carrying the weapon to protect himself from gang members in the neighborhood surrounding the school.
Sterling High School parents are being informed about the incident by phone today, officials say, but we spoke with at least one mother at the school who hadn't heard.
"I'm a little upset because I haven't gotten a call or anything as yet," she said. "Now that I'm here, I'm hearing all this."
"This is my fourth year here, I'm a senior. Nothing like this ever happened before," a student told Eyewitness News.
The student is a juvenile and his name is not being released. Appropriate disciplinary action is being taken, and the incident has been referred to the Harris County District Attorney's Office for criminal prosecution.
local, adela uchida
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents die from blunt force trauma 1 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test 29 min ago
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach 16 min ago
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans 12 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Massive shark reeled in from Gulf