43-foot baleen whale found dead on Matagorda Beach
MATAGORDA, TX -- Animal rescuers say a 43-foot whale has been found dead on a Texas beach.
The Victoria Advocate reports the baleen whale was discovered Tuesday on Matagorda Beach.
Heidi Whitehead with the Texas Marine Mammal Stranding Network in Galveston says it's definitely rare for a large whale to come ashore on the Texas coast. Whitehead says a necropsy was planned Wednesday.
Further details on the animal weren't immediately available.
Matagorda is about 90 miles southwest of Houston.
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Suspects posing as officers break into home 2 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet 17 min ago
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Doctor accused of poisoning fellow physician due in court 3 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Man shot while behind the wheel in SE Houston
- Friends prank guy into thinking he's been...
41 min ago